Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shared Topic: Weird Gaming Habits

This week's Blog Azeroth Shared Topic is Weird Gaming Habits, suggested by Akabeko. See other responses to this topic here.

Well, I guess there are two sides to this coin, the weird habits we have in game, and the weird habits we have outside of game as we are playing. 

In Game 

I think I've mentioned before that any toon that gets a Rabbit's Foot keeps it (or a stack of them) in their inventory at all times for good luck. Many of my toons are collectors of random objects for sentimental reasons.

If I get a bug in my butt about leveling a profession I sometimes get borderline obsessive about it, feeling obligated to take care of that profession in every spare moment. This makes me very quick and efficient about leveling professions, but sometimes at a detriment to everything else in game.

I am one of those people who has a hard time going off of the beaten path. I have a tendency to get lost or turned around if I just go gallivanting across the country-side, which is odd because I have a very good sense of direction IRL.

I am absolutely obsessive about looting bodies. It irritates me to no end if I don't get to loot all the sparkly bodies, and will even pick up trash that other people leave behind from their loot. Every copper counts. 

I am horrible at flying. There is something about 3 dimensions that just doesn't work in my head. I always end up either too close or too far away from things, flying too high or too low. For this reason, I almost always take flight paths to get places unless they are really close.

Outside of Game

I can't eat while I play. Not even finger food. It is too much of a distraction. I can handle drinking things, but I can't do more than idle while I'm eating.

Regardless of whether I am at work or at home playing, I have a habit of leg bouncing when I am sitting still and focusing. It is a habit that both me and my father have so I guess it might be genetic. It drives my co-workers crazy at work, but that's because we are on the upper floor and I sometimes bounce it so hard it shakes the floor a little.

I keep a notepad on my desk just in case blog inspiration strikes. I keep one at work as well, because sometimes I think about the game in spare moments. Many a blog post has begun in this way.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a leg bouncer too! My dad does it too, so indeed it might actually be genetic. I don't know how many times people have asked me if I am nervous, restless or bored and I go "huh?" and then realize I am bouncing my legs around. I think I do it because it's comfy, makes it easier to sit in a chair for hours, which I do both with WoW and at work at times. Although I have been leg bouncing since long before I started either WoW or work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to loot things! People think they are so great, leaving behind that grey item on a mob, but they don't realize it vendors for 5x more than the silver they just picked up! When I was grinding pirate rep it took me a long time to untrain myself from looting corpses carrying only coppers and linen.

    I used to be a leg bouncer, but for some reason that has since mellowed out. Now when manfriend does it I just have to make sure I'm not sitting close enough to be bounced along with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the looting bodies deal, if something is sparkly then I *have* to click it. Like you say, every copper counts (especially when you're much better at spending gold than earning it xD).

    I don't keep a notepad next to me, but I have a scetchpad. I hate waiting while the pc starts, or the screen loads, so in the meantime I scetch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone who commented, and apologies for the late response. My computer blew up last week almost right after I wrote this post. I'm back. :D

    ReplyDelete