Sunday, December 5, 2010

The 20 Days of World of Warcraft: Day Twelve

Suggest any idea for Blizzard that they could put in the game.

So many ideas...

Well, let me narrow it down to just one. One simple request that I don't think should be too difficult, one easy little thing that almost every other MMO has, one area where Blizzard has fallen atrociously behind.

OMG! WTB MOAR AND BETTER CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION!!!111WTFBBQ!!!!1111


I don't normally resort to all caps/leetspeak, but this one kinda deserves it. I feel like many of us have been begging for this forever, and they just don't listen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the newer races (Draenei, Blood Elf, Goblin, and Worgen) get very nice updated models and a few more choices in faces and hairstyles, but I want more. The appearance of the older races is abysmally out of date and very limited in choices. When games like EQ2 and LOTRO can afford to include fairly detailed choices in faces, skin tones, eye color and hair styles, why the heck can't Blizzard do the same thing in WoW? I thought Blizzard was the king of MMOs?

It's not just about player character model appearance though, it's also about gear customization. The idea of the overcloak was a step in the right direction, but then they went back on that promise. Based on the Blue posts in the overcloak thread linked above, it appears that Blizzard just doesn't like the idea of customization. It's disheartening to know that no matter how many posts, Blizzard just doesn't listen to those of us who really care what our toons look like. I'd settle with even just the addition of being able to hide more pieces then just helm/cloak (see shoulders, gloves, belts).

Blizzard representatives will tell you that the reason they don't implement these things is because they'd rather focus on producing a good game. I'm ok with that. I'm beyond happy with the game. This is why I still play. What I don't understand is why we can't have both. Maybe those of us that actually care about what our toons look like are the minority, but when other games have moved so far beyond the simple choices Blizzard has implemented, why can't Blizzard get with the times?

No comments:

Post a Comment